SQL Developer, Installation
The following covers the most essential steps to start using Oracle's SQL Developer on a Windows system. Paths to useful DBA features here.
- From your DBA get the following:
- Username and Password (ex: scott\tiger)
- Hostname (ex: lnx01).
- Database Service Name (ex: oradb).
- Port Number (ex: 1521).
- You must have the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package installed.
Choose the file named vcredist_x64.exe.
- Create a C:\app directory (all Oracle software uses this as the base).
- Download the latest version to the C:\app directory.
Select: Windows 64-bit with JDK n included
- Unzip the file. It will create a corresponding directory.
- From the ...\sqldeveloper sub-directory create a shortcut to the
sqldeveloper.exe file on to your desktop or taskbar.
- Double-click the desktop short-cut to start the application.
- If prompted to Confirm Import Preferences select Yes if upgrading from older version.
- On the top left, click the green plus (+) sign to create a connection.
Complete Essential Fields
Enter the values from your DBA for the items in blue.
- Connection Name: <Enter a Descriptive>
- Username: scott
- Password: tiger
- Select [x] Save Password.
- Connection Type: Basic
- Hostname: lnx01
- Port: 1521
- (x) Service Name: oradb
- Press Test then Save after working.
SQLDev -> DBA -> +MyDB -> Database Status -> Instance View
Menu -> View -> DBA (DBA Tab Opens) DBA Tab -> Security -> [Right-CLick] Roles: Create New